Oh, it’s a good year for cosmetics, that’s for sure. Women went crazy when Rihanna launched Fenty Beauty. Renown brands continue to collaborate with various celebrities and/or makeup artists. In the local scene, lipstick formula are improving and shades are expanding to give way to different skin tones.
To make things crazier, on September 20, 2017, Anne Curtis and her team officially launched BLK Cosmetics, the actress/host/model’s very own line of PETA-approved and cruelty-free makeup for uncomplicated beauty, as its tagline suggests. Of course, I was one of the many who went gaga over this new makeup line.
Aside from Anne Curtis being the founder of this fresh brand in the country, I nodded my head at the thought of the cosmetics being cruelty-free. Of course, not every brand I purchase has cruelty-free products, but this is a huge plus, right?
I looked at the website and was shocked to see how affordable they were. They came really close to drugstore brand prices, some even less pricey. From foundation powders to contour and blush palettes to liquid lipsticks to eyeliners, BLK Cosmetics has got it.
Finally, I was able to purchase some lipsticks from its SM North branch. I got three different shades in all and I was able to test them out enough to make a decent review.
Let’s start with the obvious. The lipsticks come in paper boxes like usual. They look sleek with the plain black color and minimal design matched with sophisticated looking fonts. I love how the containers are made of glass, which adds a posh touch to the whole brand. I also love how the tubes have uncomplicated colors – just black, white, and the shade of the lipstick.
For the liquid lipsticks, it’s easy to see the shade because of the glass tube. Basically, what you see is what you get. There’s no guessing if the color is too bright or dark when you apply it to your lips.
I would say that the color match between that from the tube and that upon application are similar. I believe it’s important to note this one because I often see reviews stating that the color on the tube looks different once you apply the lipstick. I think that’s packaging issue already.
Nevertheless, this is a good start!
BLK Cosmetics’ liquid lipsticks have a doe foot applicator like that of other brands. I would say it’s small enough to give you precise application. The formula of the liquid lipsticks itself is very creamy so they’re very easy and smooth to apply.
- LONG-LASTING LIQUID LIPSTICK – They’re creamy and smooth. It takes a few minutes to let the lipstick dry and then you’re good to go. Surprisingly, they have no smell. I’m not a huge fan of a strong lipstick scent or anything vanilla, so this is a huge plus for me.
- ALL-DAY INTENSE MATTE LIPSTICK – Equally creamy. It doesn’t have a solid matte finish so you might want to dab your lips with tissue to achieve that look. Unlike its claim, it doesn’t really last intense all day… unless you don’t eat anything for hours on end.
all-day intense matte lipstick (PHP 299.00) + long-lasting liquid matte lipstick (PHP 349.00)
Both types of lipsticks glide easily when applied. I tried to do 1 and 2 layered applications, but you can’t really see the difference. As you can see, the liquid lipsticks were still wet in this photo. Once it dried, I left the swatches on my arms to see how they long they would last during the day. Note that they definitely oxidize so don’t be surprised if they look a little darker than usual at the end of the day.
Ok, so let’s talk tones.
- SIMPLE – I thought this color would look edgy on me, but it turned out to be invisible on me. Real talk, if I asked you how my lipstick looked, you might have to squint a little harder to see that I’m actually wearing makeup. It’s definitely not for morenas, unless you’re looking for something that has a very little color payoff on you. I would highly suggest this on fair skinned ladies instead.
- SOPHISTICATED – This one’s definitely morena-friendly. Pink is not my strong color, but it works on me. It gives that pop of color but nothing that’s Nicki Minaj pink. Out of all three, this one’s my favorite. It’s nice on women with fair, medium, and tan skin tones.
- BRAVE – I only picked out Brave because I thought it would make a nice pink-red lipstick. And then I remembered I’m tanner than I usually think. I’m still learning how to master a red lipstick look so I won’t be using this as much. I’m just glad I finally have a red lipstick that’s not liquid. Red is not my favorite color to wear, but I would say it’s morena-friendly enough.
And because I want to give more than I usually see in makeup reviews, I also applied the lipsticks on my forearm. I guess you can take the first photo as to how the lipsticks would look with a full face makeup on, and the second photo with just the lipstick and nothing else on your face
You can definitely see that each color shows some difference.
- LONG-LASTING LIQUID LIPSTICK
CLAIM: “It’s matte magic. Treat your lips to the most comfortable matte lippie ever: The color payoff is beyond intense, the mousse texture dries to a freshly-blotted look with a soft matte finish—never tight or drying, thanks to hydrating Vitamin E and softening rosehip seed oil—and the pigment stays put all day long. The only problem you’ll face: Choosing which color to wear today.”
Like other liquid lipsticks, BLK Cosmetics’ liquid lipsticks stay matte and kissproof on your lips. But they’re not as promising when it comes to longevity. It’s transfer-proof, sure, but not entirely long lasting. One meal after and all traces of lipstick can be gone.
Personally, I have no problem with this. I’d rather a formula like this than a true long-lasting liquid lipstick that leaves me with a liner on my lips after a full meal. It doesn’t live up to its claims, but at least with this, you’re sure you can just re-apply. If you eat a lot during the day and are not a fan of reapplying, this liquid lipstick is not your best bet.
- ALL-DAY INTENSE MATTE LIPSTICK
CLAIM: “Meet your matte. Think intense color at first swipe, a true matte finish—zero sheen, just all-out boldness—and a non-drying, all-day wear. Our winning formula, which is enriched with Vitamin E and camellia oil, moves comfortably with your lips, never caking or feathering as you go from day to night.”
I honestly wish BLK didn’t try so hard to create these claims if they’re not 100% true. Let’s take the claims piece by piece. Brave has an intense color. It has an amazing pigment. It doesn’t have a true matte finish. It has a slight sheen which means it doesn’t look as bold and matte. You know the tuggy kind of matte? It’s nothing like that, which I slightly expect since the type says it’s… matte. Like any normal lipstick, it’s highly transferable.
Frankly, it didn’t live up to its claims but without these claims, I would say the formula of the all-day intense matte lipsticks are superb. While velvety, Brave wasn’t annoyingly creamy. I really like how the brand incorporated oils that will keep your lips moisturized despite the “matte finish”.
Currently, BLK Cosmetics is available in the following stores:
- The SM Beauty Store Section, SM Cubao
- The SM Store Beauty Section SM Fairview
- The SM Beauty Store Section, SM Iloilo
- The SM Beauty Store Section, SM Makati
- The SM Store Beauty Section SM Manila
- The SM Store Beauty Section SM Megamall
- The SM Beauty Store Section, SM North EDSA
- The SM Store Beauty Section, SM Parañaque
- The SM Beauty Store Section, SM South Mall
- The SM Beauty Store Section, SM City Sta. Mesa
- Watsons SM Mall of Asia
- Watsons SM Megamall Daimaru
- Watsons SM North Edsa
You can also purchase online at the following websites:
- The liquid lipsticks highly oxidize throughout the day.
- The lipstick shades on the boxes are deceiving. I encourage that you swatch the lipsticks on your arm/hand to make sure you’re getting the right shade for you. The gallery images on the website are somewhat accurate, though.
- The all-day intense matte lipsticks are semi-creamy.
- There are not enough shades for tan women. All colors mostly focus on pinks and reds.
- It takes a while before the liquid lipstick sets and dries.
Would I repurchase? Only the liquid lipsticks.